EGL_MESA_screen_surface version 9

Jon Smirl jonsmirl at gmail.com
Fri May 20 17:12:26 PDT 2005

On 5/20/05, Adam Jackson <ajax at nwnk.net> wrote:
> On Friday 20 May 2005 18:58, Jon Smirl wrote:
> > Hardware cursor support is an integral part of a screen surface. It
> > should probably be included.  Hardware cursor support is probably more
> > important to embedded devices too.
>
> Cursors can be implemented either as normal textured polys or as hardware
> glyphs.  In the first case it's just more objects in the scene graph.  In the
> second it's logically layered on top of the existance of a screen surface.
>
> I don't think cursors belong in MESA_screen_surface.

I'm not looking to address software cursors, right now I'm only
interested in the hardware one.

If this is going to be a separate spec we need to start it immediately
since the current Xgl implementation assumes the existence of a
hardware cursor. I can make Xgl directly access the fbdev hardware
cursor support but I would much rather use an EGL version.

How is EGL going to get a bitmap into the cursor? Use OpenGL command
to create the surface and then pass it into the cursor create function
which will copy it? Since I already have the working fbdev
implementation it is pretty easy to implement cursor support as soon
as we come up with an API.

--
Jon Smirl
jonsmirl at gmail.com