EGL_MESA_screen_surface version 9

David Reveman davidr at novell.com
Sun May 22 08:41:35 PDT 2005

On Sat, 2005-05-21 at 09:37 -0400, Jon Smirl wrote:
> On 5/21/05, David Reveman <davidr at novell.com> wrote:
> > Xgl doesn't assume the existence of a hardware cursor. Xgl works fine
> > without a hardware cursor. Xglx is currently using a software cursor
> > when the X server it's running on top of doesn't support ARGB cursors
> > (XRenderCreateCursor).
>
> But isn't the software cursor Xglx is using being implemented by the
> underlying Xserver? Xgl itself does not have a software cursor
> implementation, right?

No. It's not implemented by the underlying xserver. It's the same
software cursor code that kdrive and (I guess) also Xorg is using. Xglx
is creating an invisible cursor when the software cursor should be used
just so that we don't get two cursors, that might be what's confusing
you...

> Since I don't have support in the lower fbdev layers for a software
> cursor I need to expose the hardware one. Xglx is different in that
> the lower layers expose both a soft and hard cursor.

You don't have to do that.

-David