Question regarding HDMI Audio support on i.MX6 with vanilla kernel

Russell King - ARM Linux linux at armlinux.org.uk
Mon Nov 6 14:44:20 UTC 2017

On Mon, Nov 06, 2017 at 02:32:19PM +0000, Luís Mendes wrote:
> Thanks for the replies!
>
> Russell, the profile you sent me, did help, it was indeed missing. Now I
> have Digital Stereo (HDMI) Output and Digital Stereo (IEC958) Output
> besides the one I already had for this sound card (Analog Stereo Output).
>
> Unfortunately I still get no sound on HDMI, neither on IEC958 optical
> output, although the laser led lit up when I set the output to IEC958, but
> no sound on neither outputs.
>
> I have rechecked the kernel configuration of linux-4.14-rc5, but I don't
> find anything wrong with it... I am testing with the Wandboard Quad Plus.

I'd suggest as a first step getting rid of every other sound capable
device apart from the dw-hdmi driver.

Next, try playing an audio file with aplay:

aplay -D front:CARD=DWHDMI,DEV=0 some.wav

You may have to disable your sound daemon for that to work.

Check /proc/interrupts, see whether the interrupt count for 120000.hdmi
increases when you play an audio file.

Then try via the sound daemon.

Let me know how you get on.

--
RMK's Patch system: http://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
FTTC broadband for 0.8mile line in suburbia: sync at 8.8Mbps down 630kbps up