Question regarding HDMI Audio support on i.MX6 with vanilla kernel

Russell King - ARM Linux linux at armlinux.org.uk
Mon Nov 6 23:46:15 UTC 2017

On Mon, Nov 06, 2017 at 11:33:18PM +0000, Luís Mendes wrote:
> I've enable dynamic debug in the kernel module and got this log below.
> Is it my impression or dw_hdmi goes into DVI mode because is unable to get
> edid, which is why I don't get sound?
> According to the module code in dw_hdmi_connector_get_modes of dw-hdmi.c:
> hdmi->sink_is_hdmi and hdmi->sink_has_audio is only set when EDID can be
> read via I2C DDC.

Yep, that'll be it then.  I think you need to solve the EDID reading
first.  I'd say, check your pinmux settings.

If you're using a normal I2C controller rather than dw-hdmi's built-in
DDC, then (iirc) you need different pinmux settings - at least on
imx6q/d/sl that's the case.

--
RMK's Patch system: http://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
FTTC broadband for 0.8mile line in suburbia: sync at 8.8Mbps down 630kbps up