Question regarding HDMI Audio support on i.MX6 with vanilla kernel

Luís Mendes luis.p.mendes at gmail.com
Tue Nov 7 08:38:29 UTC 2017

It is interesting that xf86-video-armada is able to get the EDID data, also
if I run get-edid from the command line I get:
#sudo get-edid > tv.edid
This is read-edid version 3.0.2. Prepare for some fun.
Attempting to use i2c interface
No EDID on bus 0
No EDID on bus 2
1 potential busses found: 1
256-byte EDID successfully retrieved from i2c bus 1
Looks like i2c was successful. Have a good day.

parse-edid shows that the read data is from the TV and is correct.

Fabio prepared the DTS files and they look correct too, that is:
imx6qdl-wandboard.dtsi
&hdmi {
    ddc-i2c-bus = <&i2c1>;
    status = "okay";
}

Could it be that EDID is being read before i2c is initialized? Or a bug in
dw-hdmi?

Anyway wouldn't it make sense to add a kernel parameter has_audio={-1,0,1}?
-1 = auto
0 = force no audio
1 = force audio

Then if the user has a kernel command line like: video=HDMI-A-1:1024x768M at 60
dw_hdmi.has_audio=1, then:
1 - dw_hdmi should accept there is a HDMI connection despite it is unable
to read the EDID, because video=HDMI-A-1
2 - since dw_hdmi.has_audio=1 then audio and HDMI should be enabled.

What do you think? Does it make sense for me do create a patch for this?