Offer to Implement VAAPI/VDPAU support in mesa/etnaviv for the CODA VPU

Luís Mendes luis.p.mendes at gmail.com
Wed Nov 8 14:24:24 UTC 2017

Yesterday I tried Fabio's tutorial for enabling the VPU with gstreamer in
console mode (https://imxdev.gitlab.io/tutorial/Decoding_video_with_a_
mainline_kernel_on_i.MX6/). It was beautiful to see the i.MX6 playing a
H.264 video smoothly in high definition.
Then I tried to achieve the same under X, but it wasn't possible because
drm is in use by X.

That gave me the idea that implementing a functional VDPAU/VAAPI may not be
so far away and that I may be able to implement such functionality in my
spare time even if at a not so fast pace.

What do you etnaviv guys say? Does it looks feasible?