Offer to Implement VAAPI/VDPAU support in mesa/etnaviv for the CODA VPU

Lucas Stach l.stach at pengutronix.de
Wed Nov 8 14:33:01 UTC 2017

Am Mittwoch, den 08.11.2017, 14:24 +0000 schrieb Luís Mendes:
> Yesterday I tried Fabio's tutorial for enabling the VPU with
> gstreamer in console mode (https://imxdev.gitlab.io/tutorial/Decoding
> _video_with_a_mainline_kernel_on_i.MX6/). It was beautiful to see the
> i.MX6 playing a H.264 video smoothly in high definition.
> Then I tried to achieve the same under X, but it wasn't possible
> because drm is in use by X.
>
> That gave me the idea that implementing a functional VDPAU/VAAPI may
> not be so far away and that I may be able to implement such
> functionality in my spare time even if at a not so fast pace.
>
> What do you etnaviv guys say? Does it looks feasible?

Just swap the kmssink at the end of the pipeline with a xvimagesink and
be done with it. The only complication is that the armada driver
exposes 2 XV adapters, one going to a KMS plane (not really functional
on i.MX6) and one using the GPU accel path. You need to choose the
right one by either configuring the right default in the xorg.conf or
using the device parameter for the xvimagesink.

Regards,
Lucas