xdg-app and gtkmm

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Tue Dec 8 08:26:06 UTC 2015

On tis, 2015-12-08 at 09:14 +0100, Murray Cumming wrote:
> On Tue, 2015-12-08 at 08:41 +0100, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> > > Yeah, this is failing to register the dbus name
> > > "org.prefixsuffix.application", because the sandboxed app is only
> > > allowed to own names of the form "org.gnome.PrefixSuffix" and
> > > "org.gnome.PrefixSuffix.*". This is to avoid conflicts with other
> > > apps
> > > and with host services. You need to rename the app (or change the
> > > code
> > > to use the new dbus name).
> >
> > I would actually recommend neither, instead change both to use a
> > domain
> > you control. For instance "io.github.murraycu.PrefixSuffix".
>
> OK. Thanks. I wish that GApplication's docs gave some clue about what
> people should use:
> https://developer.gnome.org/gio/stable/GApplication.html#g-applicatio
> n-
> new
>
> Is the camel-case (such as GimpDevel or PrefixSuffix) a real
> convention? Mixing cases in non-human-readable names seems error
> prone.

These are dbus names, but I'm not sure if there is a super strong
recommendation for them. The initial part is a java style reverse-dns
prefix, and dns is generally lower case, so it makes sense for that to
be lower case. Then comes the actual app name. I've seen both lower
case, dashes and camel case there. However, the dbus bus itself usesĀ
"org.freedesktop.DBus", so I guess that makes sense as a convention.

I guess you can think of it like Java, where "org.github.murraycu" is
the package name, and "PrefixSuffix" is the class name.

       alexl at redhat.com            alexander.larsson at gmail.com
He's a lonely soccer-playing ex-con haunted by an iconic dead American
confidante She's a brilliant streetsmart angel who believes she is the
reincarnation of an ancient Egyptian queen. They fight crime!