xdg-app and gtkmm

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Wed Dec 9 20:43:49 UTC 2015

On tis, 2015-12-08 at 09:31 +0000, Philip Withnall wrote:
> On Tue, 2015-12-08 at 09:26 +0100, Alexander Larsson wrote:
>> > These are dbus names, but I'm not sure if there is a super strong
> > recommendation for them. The initial part is a java style reverse-
> > dns
> > prefix, and dns is generally lower case, so it makes sense for that
> > be lower case. Then comes the actual app name. I've seen both lower
> > case, dashes and camel case there. However, the dbus bus itself
> > uses
> > "org.freedesktop.DBus", so I guess that makes sense as a
> > convention.
> >
> > I guess you can think of it like Java, where "org.github.murraycu"
> > is
> > the package name, and "PrefixSuffix" is the class name.
>
> Please please please make sure this is added to the documentation.
> There has been confusion over how to format reverse-DNS-style names
> for
> different APIs since forever.

xdg-app ids just inherit dbus names, because they are already a unique
identifier (also uses as the desktop-file name these days due to dbus
activation of desktop files). I'm aware that there is quite some
different naming schemes used for dbus names already, but I'm not sure
I'm in any way able to affect changes in that...

       alexl at redhat.com            alexander.larsson at gmail.com
He's a one-legged guerilla Green Beret in a wheelchair. She's a
mistrustful junkie queen of the dead with the power to see death. They
fight crime!