xdg-app and gtkmm

Murray Cumming murrayc at murrayc.com
Tue Dec 8 11:47:16 UTC 2015

On Tue, 2015-12-08 at 08:41 +0100, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> > > Also, my app doesn't actually run. Is it obvious what I'm doing
> > > wrong?
> > >
> > > $ xdg-app run org.gnome.PrefixSuffix
> > >
> > > ** (prefixsuffix:2): WARNING **: Couldn't connect to
> accessibility
> > > bus:
> > > Failed to connect to socket /tmp/dbus-FwMNfBewZv: Connection
> > > refused
> > > Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
> > > Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
> > > Failed to register:
> > > GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown:
> > > org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown
> >
> > Yeah, this is failing to register the dbus name
> > "org.prefixsuffix.application", because the sandboxed app is only
> > allowed to own names of the form "org.gnome.PrefixSuffix" and
> > "org.gnome.PrefixSuffix.*". This is to avoid conflicts with other
> > apps
> > and with host services. You need to rename the app (or change the
> > code
> > to use the new dbus name).

Thanks. Maybe GApplication needs an improved warning there? Or in xdg
-app?

> I would actually recommend neither, instead change both to use a
> domain
> you control. For instance "io.github.murraycu.PrefixSuffix"

I'm making progress. The xdg-app now runs, though GSettings/DConf
doesn't seem to work, so the app's preferences are not saved. Does this
seem like anything I'm getting wrong in my use of xdg-app-builder? It
works when used normally in jhbuild.

$ xdg-app run io.github.murraycu.PrefixSuffix

** (prefixsuffix:2): WARNING **: Couldn't connect to accessibility bus:
Failed to connect to socket /tmp/dbus-PEhoQVzw0X: Connection refused
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"

(prefixsuffix:2): dconf-WARNING **: unable to open named profile
(child): using the null configuration.

--
Murray Cumming
murrayc at murrayc.com