xdg-app-builder: Adding a symlink

Murray Cumming murrayc at murrayc.com
Mon Dec 14 09:10:44 UTC 2015

On Mon, 2015-12-14 at 09:45 +0100, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> On lör, 2015-12-12 at 22:25 +0100, Murray Cumming wrote:
> > On Sat, 2015-12-12 at 11:44 +0100, Murray Cumming wrote:
> > > After building python in xdg-app-builder, I need to create a
> > > symlink
> > > from
> > > /app/include/python3.5
> > > /app/include/python3.5m
> > > so that boost's awful build system can find it. I think distros
> > > do
> > > this
> > > in their packages.
> > >
> > > Python already has configure and Makefile files. Is there an easy
> > > way
> > > to just run an extra shell command after the install, or do I
> > > need
> > > patch python's build files?
> >
> > Actually, on second thoughts, I'd rather just use the python
> > provided
> > by xdg-app (or maybe it's from the GNOME SDK?). But that's missing
> > the
> > symlink. Ubuntu/Debian adds the symlink in its package, and I'd
> > guess
> > that Fedora does too.
> >
> > I've tried fixing boost's build system to make it do
> >   -I /usr/include/python3.3m
> > instead of
> >   -I /usr/include/python3.3
> > but so far I fear it might be a fundamental problem in boost's
> > build
> > system.
> >
> > Could we add the symlink to xdg-app's /usr ?
>
> I don't see where fedora does this. At least I don't have a symlink
> like this, instead there are some boost patches:
>
> http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/boost.git/tree/boost-1.57.0-python
> -abi_letters.patch

That does seem like the better fix, assuming it does what I think.

> http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/boost.git/tree/boost-1.57.0-python
> -libpython_dep.patch

I don't know what that does.

I'll try these out some time soon. I wonder if the patches were ever
submitted upstream to boost.

> However, debian does seem to have the link:
>

> https://packages.debian.org/sid/amd64/libpython3.5-dev/filelist
>
> I can't find where this is created in the sources though. Can you
> find this?

Yes. Just search for "ln -s" in the rules file, in the debian.tar.xz
file here:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/wily/python/python3.5-dev

> It seems the "m" part is part of the ABI flags to mean "optimized". I
> don't know python packaging well enought to know what the right
> decision is here. Does anyone else know more about this?

Fixing boost does seem best.

--
Murray Cumming
murrayc at murrayc.com