Missing files in app

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Fri Dec 16 10:54:07 UTC 2016

On fre, 2016-12-16 at 11:05 +0100, Ruben Grimm wrote:
> Am 16.12.2016 10:35 schrieb Alexander Larsson:
> >
> > On fre, 2016-12-16 at 10:29 +0100, Ruben Grimm wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi there,
> > >
> > > I'm currently experimenting with flatpak packaging and for this I
> > > was
> > > trying to build a VLC package based on a QT runtime, I built
> > > myself
> > > (which of course is built upon the freedesktop runtime). I put
> > > the
> > > gst-ugly-libs into this package.
> >
> > Why did you feel the need to create a runtime for Qt? The idea is
> > bundle it with your app.
>
> Mostly for the fun of it. I wanted to experiment a bit. If I was to
> publish the flatpak, I would bundle QT, but I was excited, to see it
> working that well :)
> On the other hand, if I was to set up a repository with more
> packages
> using QT, I would probably build a runtime..?

No, almost no people should be in the business of creating runtimes.
Creating (and maintaining) a runtime is the equivalent of creating your
own distribution. It is complex and tricky, as you maintain all the
lowlevel bits, and you need to be on the call for things like security
updates.

> Okay, that makes sense. I didn't get that right. The files are
> there,
> but gst-inspect does not list the plugins and VLC can't play mp4
> files
> and others. Seems like gstreamer doesn't look into the app/lib
> folder
> for extensions. I'll look into this.

The freedesktop runtime sets the GST_PLUGIN_SYSTEM_PATH env var which
should cause it to look there. Maybe your runtime doesn't.

       alexl at redhat.com            alexander.larsson at gmail.com
He's a war-weary small-town hairdresser from a doomed world. She's a
disco-crazy kleptomaniac traffic cop with an incredible destiny. They
fight crime!