Missing files in app

Ruben Grimm ruben.grimm at bmind.de
Fri Dec 16 10:05:38 UTC 2016

Am 16.12.2016 10:35 schrieb Alexander Larsson:
> On fre, 2016-12-16 at 10:29 +0100, Ruben Grimm wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I'm currently experimenting with flatpak packaging and for this I
>> was
>> trying to build a VLC package based on a QT runtime, I built myself
>> (which of course is built upon the freedesktop runtime). I put the
>> gst-ugly-libs into this package.
>
> Why did you feel the need to create a runtime for Qt? The idea is to
> bundle it with your app.

Mostly for the fun of it. I wanted to experiment a bit. If I was to
publish the flatpak, I would bundle QT, but I was excited, to see it
working that well :)
On the other hand, if I was to set up a repository with more packages
using QT, I would probably build a runtime..?

>> Now when I install the package, I can see the gst-ugly libs in
>> $HOME/.local/share/flatpak/app/org.videloan.Vlc/current/active/files/
>> lib/gstreamer-1.0,
>> but when I sh into the app (flatpak run --command=sh
>> org.videolan.Vlc).
>> The gstreamer-1.0 folder only contains the gst-good and gst-base
>> libs,
>> which are provided by freedesktop and VLC can't play mp4 files.
>
> Where did you look. The files you list above are in the app, so they
> should end up in /app/lib/gstreamer-1.0, whereas the gstreamer stuff
> from the runtime should be in /usr/lib/gstreamer-1.0.
>
> However, the freedesktop runtime sets GST_PLUGIN_SYSTEM_PATH so that
> the plugins in the app should be found in /app/lib. Did you try running
> gst-inspect to see if it finds the plugin?
>
>> Do you have an idea whats going on here? Is there a problem merging
>> the
>> folders? Am I doing something wrong?
>
> Flatpak never merges any folder, the app and the runtime are separate
> directories.

Okay, that makes sense. I didn't get that right. The files are there,
but gst-inspect does not list the plugins and VLC can't play mp4 files
and others. Seems like gstreamer doesn't look into the app/lib folder
for extensions. I'll look into this.