Adding AppData files for frameworks

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 13:13:00 UTC 2016

On 8 January 2016 at 12:49, Frederic Crozat <fcrozat at suse.com> wrote:
> Doing this will be harder (because you have to think about which one is
> taking over the other one) than just reusing the SPDX license id, since
> it is often already documented in packages (sorry, I'm speaking with my
> distro hat). And it might also force upstream project to really
> document clearly which licenses their project is using.

Right, MatthiasK is quite keen for upstream libraries to ship
metainfo.xml files as well, which potentially could include the
license there. If we added metainfo files to all the libraries used in
a framework (!) then it would be a simple job to just deduplicate all
the same ones, and AND them all together. We could even do the
"GPL+Apache->GPL" simplification programatically.

Of course, it's a shit-ton of work getting all upstream libraries to
write, ship and install some random XML file. Perhaps something could
be put in the pkgconfig file instead?

Richard