Adding AppData files for frameworks

Frederic Crozat fcrozat at suse.com
Fri Jan 8 12:49:06 UTC 2016

Le vendredi 08 janvier 2016 à 07:18 -0500, James a écrit :

> > > This is tricky. The runtime is a combination of many licenses.
> > > What
> > > should it show? All? The major ones? None? "Various"?
> >
> > Wel, gnome-software needs to decide if it's free or non-free so we
> > can
> > label it in the UI. "Various" is going to be understood as nonfree
> > by
> > the parser if it's not a valid SPDX license ID. I think it's a
> > pain,
> > but I think listing them all is the only way to go here, legally.
>
> Instead of listing all of the licenses (kind of a PITA) you can list
> the license the entire work is covered by. For example, if the
> software is a combination of ApacheV2 and GPLv3+ you only need to
> list
> GPLv3+ since the whole work is licensed this way.

Doing this will be harder (because you have to think about which one is
taking over the other one) than just reusing the SPDX license id, since
it is often already documented in packages (sorry, I'm speaking with my
distro hat). And it might also force upstream project to really
document clearly which licenses their project is using.

--
Frederic Crozat
Enterprise Desktop Release Manager