A Linux App Store Proposal

Charles Johnson charlesjohnsont at outlook.com
Fri Jul 29 07:09:20 UTC 2016

I'll just give my opinion as a user, I am not a developer and I've only experienced with Flatpak, packaging sall applications.

I think more than a store -how of Canonical-, the Linux ecosystem needs a place to discover apps with this new format. One must consider that each distribution will take different paths with Flatpak, using it internally or by adding third-party repositories directly (see :https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Workstation/Third_party_software_proposal). Therefore, the software centers of each distribution ill be central in the user experience to the installation of these types of applications, such as GNOME Software or Yumex-dnf (see: https://github.com/timlau/yumex-dnf/issues/124)

 Therefore, I think a site that is responsible for gathering information from the applications that are distributed as Flatpaks and add a direct download link (bundle), link to the author's website or a link to open it from GNOME Software is a good perspective.

CJT