The xdg-app story

Jasper St. Pierre jstpierre at mecheye.net
Sun Mar 20 19:44:40 UTC 2016

Heh.

A week ago, we actually had a bit of a discussion internally at
Endless about a good file extension for xdg-app, because ".xdg-app"
isn't a catchy filename (I think the best we got was ".xpk" to match
".apk", since that wasn't taken).

I think this does speak to xdg-app's brand not being very strong,
especially for an end user who can't remember all the different
three-letter acronyms. I'm sure we could bikeshed on-list for a better
brand for xdg-app (Zapp? AppSack? AppPack? Hm, I like that one...) --
a logo and website turned Wayland from a git repo in a side-project to
a surprisingly strong brand and force.

On Sun, Mar 20, 2016 at 8:38 AM, Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I'm struggling with the "story" for xdg-app. xdg-app is a technical
> name and isn't any good for googling, branding, doesn't have a logo,
> or anything like a snazzy website. Compared to other names (cough,
> "snappy") I think it's going to be hard to promote with the current
> lack of website and name.
>
> Don't get me wrong, I think xdg-app is an awesome technology with a
> lot of compelling features, but I think we really need to think about
> the developer and "critical mass" problem some more. Whether this is a
> new name, or just some time spent on a website isn't my call to make,
> but I thought it was worth getting things off my chest.
>
> I know xdg-app exists as a name/project/thing now, but given we can
> count the number of users on just a few hands I don't think it's too
> late to rebrand. xdg-app can certainly be the low-level name, but I
> think something like "AtomicApp", or "Xapp", or "Zapp", or anything
> else would be a much easier thing to "sell".
>
> Richard.

  Jasper