The xdg-app story

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 15:38:20 UTC 2016

Hey all,

I'm struggling with the "story" for xdg-app. xdg-app is a technical
name and isn't any good for googling, branding, doesn't have a logo,
or anything like a snazzy website. Compared to other names (cough,
"snappy") I think it's going to be hard to promote with the current
lack of website and name.

Don't get me wrong, I think xdg-app is an awesome technology with a
lot of compelling features, but I think we really need to think about
the developer and "critical mass" problem some more. Whether this is a
new name, or just some time spent on a website isn't my call to make,
but I thought it was worth getting things off my chest.

I know xdg-app exists as a name/project/thing now, but given we can
count the number of users on just a few hands I don't think it's too
late to rebrand. xdg-app can certainly be the low-level name, but I
think something like "AtomicApp", or "Xapp", or "Zapp", or anything
else would be a much easier thing to "sell".

Richard.