The xdg-app story

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Thu Mar 24 12:56:31 UTC 2016

On mån, 2016-03-21 at 08:40 +0000, Richard Hughes wrote:
> On 21 March 2016 at 08:25, Alexander Larsson <alexl at redhat.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > We really need a good name though, and I suck at that kind of
> > thing.
> Okay, I think we need to agree on a name, get a domain, and then go
> on
> a marketing offensive. I think we've done a huge amount of awesome
> technical work that basically nobody knows about.
>
> To avoid bikeshed'ing on list, I've created a document here that
> people can add ideas to and comment on each one. At the end Alex can
> choose the one he likes best and we can go from there.
>
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lXk3I-i4lLbR1lP_TyZxCHhvyGZf5Ot-j
> IIVa9bew20/edit?usp=sharing

So, i think Zapp is the best alternative here. Its short, easy to
pronounce, it has some obvious ideas for logos, it has "app" in it, and
no weird (to users) references (like bundle and atomic).

One issue is that it has no necessary "meaning" other than "sounds cool
and has app in it", but thats not necessarily all that important.

So, supposing we rename the project. What would that mean in terms of
breakage. We don't really have much internet presence yet, so a new
webpage for zapp would be no problem at all. However, there are some
things that we do have. In order of how problematic to change these
are:

* xdg-app at lists.freedesktop.org
* bugzilla @ freedesktop
* git repo @ freedesktop
* xdg-app commandline tools
* libxdgapp soname
* org.freedesktop.XdgApp dbus service
* ~/.local/share/xdg-app & /var/lib/xdg-app directory names

Do we change all of these too? or just some? if so, which ones?

       alexl at redhat.com            alexander.larsson at gmail.com
He's a witless umbrella-wielding photographer on the wrong side of the
law. She's a beautiful blonde soap star with a knack for trouble. They
fight crime!