Request: Perl and Perl-Gtk bindings

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Tue Aug 15 15:24:03 UTC 2017

On Wed, 2017-08-09 at 00:30 +0100, Emmanuele Bassi wrote:
> Alex and I have discussed this at GUADEC, two weeks ago; it should be
> possible to include Perl in the next freedesktop.org Platform
> runtime,
> but including the Perl modules needed by the bindings without any
> application actively using them is kind of problematic, as they have
> the tendency to string along a bunch of dependencies themselves, and
> make the runtimes bigger than necessary.
>
> With Perl in the runtime it should be possible to bundle the GTK+
> bindings for Perl with your app; the introspection data is there, and
> it's pretty trivial to bundle the Perl modules wrapping it. The only
> two big bits would be perl-Glib and perl-Glib-Object-Introspection,
> as
> they both require building C code, and require additional Perl
> modules
> to find their dependencies (ExtUtils::Depends and
> ExtUtils::PkgConfig)
> as well as a Perl module to generate its build file
> (ExtUtils::MakeMaker).

I took a look at this yesterday, and packaging perl 5 with all the core
modules made the freedesktop.org runtime 33 megs larger. Its possible
to make it somewhat smaller by selective dropping modules, however its
not exactly small.

Given that most apps will not be using perl I'm somewhat hesitant to
add this. I mean, where does it stop? Why perl and not ruby, etc.

       alexl at redhat.com            alexander.larsson at gmail.com
He's a shy gay cowboy fleeing from a secret government programme. She's
an enchanted tomboy bounty hunter trying to make a difference in a man's
world. They fight crime!