short-tem release plans

Simon McVittie smcv at collabora.com
Tue Aug 15 17:44:15 UTC 2017

On Tue, 15 Aug 2017 at 16:58:37 +0200, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> There are a few things I want to add that will make it
> easier for flathub, and there are some minor bugs I want to fix. But I
> think we can get 0.10.0 out in a couple of weeks, and after that the
> plan is to continue work on the 0.10.x stable branch.
>
> This means after 0.10.0 we can only do fixes and backwards compatilble
> changes.

>From the point of view of downstream distributions (Debian in my case) I
would prefer it if significant new features, even if backwards compatible,
went into a 0.11.x branch. So far I've been able to get 0.8.x past the
stable release team, but some of the changes were at the upper end of
what I feel I can justify for a stable update; so it would be easiest
for me if 0.10.x was bugfix-only, at least as strictly as 0.8.x.

(Or if 0.10.x is a feature branch, I can backport individual fixes like
I do for libostree, but I will not be able to just land the whole thing.)