Proposed changed to documentation

Michael Hall mhall119 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 13 15:08:34 UTC 2017

There isn't a list of changes, the sitemap is an effort to "reorganize
and expand" what's already there.

The reorganization is based on a developer's journey, assuming no prior
knowledgge of flatpaks. Each top-level section represents a milestone
in that journey, from getting the flatpak tools, to building and
finally publishing their flatpak. Inside those are the information and
steps needed to reach each milestone, in the order they are going to be
needed. So Building starts with an explanation of Runtimes & SDKs, then
introduced flatpak-builder, modules and buildsystems, then exported
files, then testing what should be a working flatpak at that point, and
finally offers extensions and localization to finish it up.

Much of that already exists, but often it's not very thoroughly
described. SDKs, for example, have only two sentences describing them.
As an app developer who read through this the first time, it wasn't
clear to me that the build steps happened *inside* the SDK's
environment. It wasn't clear how the tools in that environment could be
called, or how I could get a shell in that environment to see what was
available. Something like that deserves it's own section, if not it's
own page.

I based a lot of this on past experience designing the developer
journey and sitemaps for Snapcraft and the Ubuntu SDK, what we learned
from them about what works and what doesn't, and feedback we heard from
developers as they learned to use them.

--
Michael Hall
mhall119 at gmail.com