Appstream ID and Flatpak

Matthias Klumpp matthias at tenstral.net
Thu Dec 14 04:16:43 UTC 2017

> On Tue, Dec 12, 2017 at 12:05 PM, Matthias Klumpp <matthias at tenstral.net>
> wrote:
>> [...]
>> That's not necessary (anymore) and not even wanted, because the ID can
>> be independent from the .desktop filename of the application, and
>> should (sometimes must) follow a reverse-DNS scheme.
>
> But we don't want to go back to the bad old days of multiple ids per
> application (desktop file name, appstream id, flatpak id, dbus name...) - we
> chose to unify them for a reason.

Yes, absolutely not. But people should never ever rename the AppStream
ID for a specific bundling system, that defeats its purpose.
Ideally, people would just fix the naming upstream and rename
component-id / .desktop file, etc. directly, instead of making
bundling system specific hacks.

Cheers,
    Matthias