flatpak --user cant see anything installed system wide

Fabio Rafael Rosa fdr at pid42.net
Sun Oct 15 13:06:16 UTC 2017

Hi all.
I do have a question regarding remotes, runtimes, and installing for
single user vs the whole system.
>From what I see, currently, things are completely isolated. If I install
a remote, and a runtime, to the whole system, and I try to install and
application as user only, the application don't recognize the installed
runtime (and, actually, it cannot even be installed using the that same
remote). So, it seems to me that actually, everything must be duplicated
for --user and --system.
Is that by design, or it is a current limitation. I mean, from a user
POV, this seems very complicated. One of the good things of flatpak, is
that you don't need root to install applications for you. But, no only
software center always install everything system wide, if you try
installing something only for your user, you have to jump to several
hops to understand why , for example, freedesktop runtime is not
available for you, when flatpak list shows it installed. Wouldn't make
more sense, that remotes and runtimes installed system wide, could be
used when installling and application as --user ? Another thing is that,
flatpak command line could default to --user when you are no running
with sudo, or as root, instead of failing (or asking for sudo password).

Whats is the reasoning behind this design?
Thanks in advance.
Best Regards