flatpak --user cant see anything installed system wide

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Mon Oct 16 09:08:32 UTC 2017

On Sun, 2017-10-15 at 11:06 -0200, Fabio Rafael Rosa wrote:
> Hi all.
> I do have a question regarding remotes, runtimes, and installing for
> single user vs the whole system.
> From what I see, currently, things are completely isolated. If I
> install a remote, and a runtime, to the whole system, and I try to
> install and application as user only, the application don't recognize
> the installed runtime (and, actually, it cannot even be installed
> using the that same remote). So, it seems to me that actually,
> everything must be duplicated for --user and --system.

That shouldn't happen. The per user installed app should find the
runtime from the system. The other way around however (per user
runtime, system app) will not work. If this is not working, please file
a bug.

> Another thing is that, flatpak command line could default to --user
> when you are no running with sudo, or as root, instead of failing (or
> asking for sudo password).
> Whats is the reasoning behind this design?

It is generally expected that most people will use system-installed
apps, because that is more traditional use of the homedir. Installing
lots of binaries in the users homedir is unexpected for things like
backup programs, or sharing the homedir between machines, etc. I think
of --user as a more corner-case usecase for debugging/testing or just
weird situations.

       alexl at redhat.com            alexander.larsson at gmail.com
He's a gun-slinging moralistic barbarian gone bad. She's a mistrustful
snooty schoolgirl with an evil twin sister. They fight crime!