no such metadata / no such ref errors on the command line

Michael Gratton mike at vee.net
Fri Apr 6 01:59:30 UTC 2018

On Thu, Apr 5, 2018 at 5:58 PM, Alexander Larsson <alexl at redhat.com>
wrote:
> Ah, so this installed the 32bit version, which makes sense because it
> is the only one currently on flathub.

Yeah, installing it also pulled down the 32 bit runtimes.

> So, you have an actual 64bit build of this app from flathub.
> Interestingly it matches the date of this:
> https://github.com/flathub/.Digital/commit/714af0ecafce98d3d25921cdd3426ede1e2adb01
>
> Which is the commit that disabled all but the i386 builds.
>
> Maybe we had a non-working x86-64 version for a bit but it was
> removed?

Oh, I see what you mean now, I totally missed the fact that the info
command only reports installed versions, and that it was saying a 64
bit version was installed.

That's more weird because the 64 bit version of the app actually isn't
installed:

> mjg at payens:~$ ls -l /var/lib/flatpak/app/com.scoutshonour.Digital
> total 4
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   11 Apr  5 11:14 current -> i386/stable
> drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Apr  5 11:14 i386

I think the sequence of events yesterday went something like:

- I ran "flatpak install --reinstall flathub com.scoutshonour.Digital"
- While that was running (d/l the runtimes took some time), then ran
"flatpak info com.scoutshonour.Digital", which reported the 64 bit
version.
- After installation completed, info now reports the 32 bit version is
installed:

> mjg at payens:~$ flatpak info
> Ref: app/com.scoutshonour.Digital/i386/stable
> [snip]

I just did a "flatpak uninstall com.scoutshonour.Digital" and as
expected, it doesn't exist:

> mjg at payens:~$ flatpak info com.scoutshonour.Digital
> error: com.scoutshonour.Digital master not installed
> mjg at payens:~$ ls -l /var/lib/flatpak/app/com.scoutshonour.Digital
> ls: cannot access '/var/lib/flatpak/app/com.scoutshonour.Digital': No
> such file or directory

And now the no "such ref error" has gone away running an update, but
both search and update are now reporting the same missing metadata
object instead:

> mjg at payens:~$ flatpak search blah
> Error updating: No such metadata object
> 3f97e8db7dffa626bd19b4a763b6a371698c58054877215c00bf1b1d4d00db50.commit
> No matches found
> mjg at payens:~$ flatpak update
> Looking for updates...
> Updating appstream data for remote gnome-apps-nightly
> Error updating: No such metadata object
> 3f97e8db7dffa626bd19b4a763b6a371698c58054877215c00bf1b1d4d00db50.commit

So maybe something went wrong uninstalling the 64 bit version a while
back? Is there is an issue uninstalling an app or arch that has already
been removed from a repo?

--
⊨ Michael Gratton, Percept Wrangler.
⚙ <http://mjog.vee.net/>