Why Flatpak? Isn't Snap enough?

N. W. nw9165-2031596 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 3 21:54:00 UTC 2018

> Simon McVittie <smcv at collabora.com> wrote:
>
> You could say the same thing about Snap and Flatpak the other way round,

As explained in the initial post, that was already done, see:

https://forum.snapcraft.io/t/assorted-questions-about-snapd-use/1738

Maybe you should read that thread, since it seems you haven't done so yet.

> Simon McVittie <smcv at collabora.com> wrote:
>
> or CentOS and Arch Linux (either way round)

Absolutely, and I do!

The year of the Linux desktop will never come like this.

Instead of one main desktop distro, we have hundreds.
Instead of one desktop environment, we have hundreds.
Instead of one window manager/compositor, we have hundreds.
Instead of one packaging format, we have several.
Instead of one file system, we have several.
Instead of one universal packaging format, we have at least two.

And so on...

Of course everyone is allowed to do it like that.

But it doesn't make a lot of sense.

Instead of concentrating on a few projects that would make Linux desktop great,
there is complete fragmentation, which often makes the Linux desktop experience
a mess.

Linux will never have a big marketshare on the desktop like that.

It is very sad and unfortunate.