Plans for the new stable release of freedesktop-sdk runtime

Javier Jardón jjardon at gnome.org
Mon Jul 16 18:06:49 UTC 2018

Hey,

We would like to update what is the current status and what are the
plans for the next stable release:

- We are currently trying to create the first "rc" after our current
list of blockers is fixed [1]

- The current build is being used to build the latest gnome-sdk runtime
for a while; we have been fixed issues as they got reported, but please
keep opening new ones if you detect any problem

- Instructions how to use our runtime directly are in our README [2]

- Some people raised the issue that is difficult to know the contents
of the new runtime. To minimize this:
  - We have created a wiki page with the current components: [3] (we
will try to automate this in the future, see [4])
  - We would like to proposse to change the versioning of the runtime
from "1.8" to a time based one, similar to Ubuntu or ostree. The plan
is to have a new release this month, so it would be "18.07"

Please let us know if this makes things easier. We will send another
email about release cadence and maintenance shortly

Cheers,
Javier

[1] https://gitlab.com/freedesktop-sdk/freedesktop-sdk/issues?milestone_title=18.07
[2] https://gitlab.com/freedesktop-sdk/freedesktop-sdk/#usage