Using gem install from a simple build

Allan Day aday at gnome.org
Tue May 15 09:30:34 UTC 2018

Hi Jesse,

Thanks for getting in touch.

jesse <jesse.c.millwood at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am trying to install a ruby gem during a simple build system build command.
> I am wondering if there is no network access during the build command?

That's correct - flatpak-builder doesn't allow network access during the build.

> I have gone through the flatpak tutorial and was reading through the
> flatpak-manifest man page but didn't see anything about allowing network access
> during the build phase. I could see why it might be blocked but I thought I saw
> some pip usage in some of the manifests on flathub.

The recommended method for package managers that require network
access is to download the required packages ahead of time. We are
currently working on some documentation which covers similar issues
for Python [1] and Electron [2]; you might find these to be useful.

> If there isn't any way to enable it, would the common path be to manually
> calculate all of the dependencies and add that to the manifest?

If you look at the guides I linked to, you'll see that there are tools
available for calculating dependencies with pip or npm. However, I'm
not aware of one for gems.

Allan
--
[1] https://github.com/flatpak/flatpak-docs/blob/guides/docs/python.rst