[HEADS UP] Update your Qt application with access to KDE/Gnome configuration

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Fri Oct 5 14:10:19 UTC 2018

On Fri, Oct 5, 2018 at 1:15 PM Jan Grulich <jgrulich at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone.
>
> there were some changes in flatpak back then, disabling inheritance of
> permissions from runtime to applications using it. We used to allow read
> access to kdeglobals configuration file in KDE runtime, where applications can
> read system color, font, icons and so on. This doesn't work anymore and this
> access needs to be set per application.
>
> All you need to do is to add following into finish-args in your manifest:
> "--filesystem=xdg-config/kdeglobals:ro"
>
> Similar approach will most likely be needed for Gnome, to allow QGnomePlatform
> access dconf configuration, this can be achieved with following finish-args:
> "--env=DCONF_USER_CONFIG_DIR=.config/dconf"
> "--filesystem=xdg-run/dconf"
> "--filesystem=~/.config/dconf:ro"
>
> I opened PRs for all KDE applications in flathub, adding access to kdeglobals,
> but it's not in my manpower to go through all Qt apps and open dozens of PRs
> myself, when it's easier for maintainers to simply do the change without
> forking repositories.

Another possibility would be to find a way for flatpak-builder to
detect that these arguments are missing.
I don't think it's great that we give the possibility to have
applications broken in unknown ways and push developers to always have
to copy&paste certain parts if they don't want some integrations just
not to work.

Aleix