[HEADS UP] Update your Qt application with access to KDE/Gnome configuration

Jan Grulich jgrulich at redhat.com
Fri Oct 5 11:15:09 UTC 2018

Hi everyone.

there were some changes in flatpak back then, disabling inheritance of
permissions from runtime to applications using it. We used to allow read
access to kdeglobals configuration file in KDE runtime, where applications can
read system color, font, icons and so on. This doesn't work anymore and this
access needs to be set per application.

All you need to do is to add following into finish-args in your manifest:
"--filesystem=xdg-config/kdeglobals:ro"

Similar approach will most likely be needed for Gnome, to allow QGnomePlatform
access dconf configuration, this can be achieved with following finish-args:
"--env=DCONF_USER_CONFIG_DIR=.config/dconf"
"--filesystem=xdg-run/dconf"
"--filesystem=~/.config/dconf:ro"

I opened PRs for all KDE applications in flathub, adding access to kdeglobals,
but it's not in my manpower to go through all Qt apps and open dozens of PRs
myself, when it's easier for maintainers to simply do the change without
forking repositories.

Thank you.

Regards,
Jan