Adding simple permissions

Douglas Summers ajgringo619 at cox.net
Mon Aug 26 02:20:54 UTC 2019

On Sun, 2019-08-25 at 21:14 -0500, Ryan Gonzalez wrote:
> You can already do this, check out 'flatpak override'.
>
> I think the LibreOffice is a known-ish oddity, since the portals
> should allow printing IIRC?
>
> On Sun, Aug 25, 2019, 4:13 PM Douglas Summers <ajgringo619 at cox.net>
> wrote:
> > As much as I like Flatpak, the ability to make simple changes to
> > the
> > programs's permissions is severely lacking. I've already had issues
> > with Okular (refuses to see my printer) and LibreOffice (can't send
> > file via email). Now I've tried RhythmBox, which refuses to see any
> > audio CDs (using a Blu-ray player). While I'm perfectly fine with
> > Flatpak's sandboxing features (one of the reasons I really like its
> > concept), I just don't understand why these keep cropping up.

flatpak override doesn't work in the aforementioned situations. The
closest I got with RhythmBox was using --filesystem=host; it saw the
audio CD, but still wouldn't let me access it (--device=all was
similarly useless). With Okular, I tried giving away every permission I
could find, but nothing worked so I gave up. Again, this should not be
this difficult. CDs/DVDs/Printers are all standard devices and should
have a reasonably simple way to allow them through the sandbox.