Adding plugins to a flatpak installed app?

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Fri May 3 08:49:33 UTC 2019

On Fri, May 3, 2019 at 8:09 AM Gerard Braad <me at gbraad.nl> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was wondering how you can add a plugin to a Flatpak installed
> application. For instance, I would like the NDI plugin to work for the
> flatpak version of OBS.

Runtimes can have extension points, but so can applications. If you
add that to the app then you can package the plugins as an extension.
The canonical example here is hexchat:
  https://github.com/flathub/io.github.Hexchat
And its plugins like the perl one:
  https://github.com/flathub/io.github.Hexchat.Plugin.Perl

Another alternative if the plugins are not too dependent on ABIs (like
say for python code plugins) is to just look for them in a subdir in
the per-app homedir folder.

Additionally there is something like a combination of the above called
"unmanaged extensions" where if you create a directory with the right
name in the right place that directly will appear to flatpak as a
locally installed extension with the name/branch extracted from the
pathname. Thus you don't necessary have to package and install the
plugin as a flatpak repo even though it is use as one.

--
 Alexander Larsson                                Red Hat, Inc
       alexl at redhat.com         alexander.larsson at gmail.com