Release schedule plans for freedesktop-sdk 20.08

Javier Jardón jjardon at gnome.org
Mon Jun 22 11:26:12 UTC 2020

On Mon, 22 Jun 2020 at 00:52, Aleix Pol <aleixpol at kde.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 19, 2020 at 4:46 PM Javier Jardón <jjardon at gnome.org> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > We want to announce the planned release schedule for the
> > next release: [1]
> >
> > Putting it in here for your convenience:
> >
> > - 20200629:
> >   - 20.08beta1: First beta release
> >   - publish in flathub beta
> >
> > - 20200720:
> >   - 20.08betaX: X as we can generate more than two, but at minimum we
> > will have two betas
> >   - Publish in flathub beta
> >
> > - 20200810:
> >   - 20.08rc1: Hard freeze: no ABI changes allowed anymore
> >   - Publish in flathub beta
> >
> > - 20200824:
> >   - 20.08rc2: Second release candidate
> >   - Publish in flathub beta
> >
> > - 20200831
> >   - 20.08: Final release
> >   - Publish in flathub
> >
> > Please let us know any questions
> >
> > Cheers,
> > fd-sdk team
> >
> > [1] https://gitlab.com/freedesktop-sdk/freedesktop-sdk/-/wikis/release#release-plan-2008-runtime
>
> If it's to be released the 31st August, wouldn't it make more sense to
> just call it 20.09?

If possible, I think we would like to keep 20.08 for consistency
(19.08, 18.08 ... etc)

> I also wonder what kind of testing we should be doing until then. What
> kind of changes usually happen during these rc? I assume applications
> will start adopting once they get to base themselves onto the final
> runtime anyway.

Apart for individual testing of some apps (like steam), we expect
GNOME to use the betas
and RC's on the releases towards GNOME 3.38 (plan to be released the
16 September);
Maybe we can try to do something similar with the KDE runtime? what is
your current release
cycle?

Cheers,
Javier