Release schedule plans for freedesktop-sdk 20.08

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Tue Jun 23 01:08:17 UTC 2020

On Mon, Jun 22, 2020 at 1:26 PM Javier Jardón <jjardon at gnome.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Jun 2020 at 00:52, Aleix Pol <aleixpol at kde.org> wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, Jun 19, 2020 at 4:46 PM Javier Jardón <jjardon at gnome.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > We want to announce the planned release schedule for the
> > > next release: [1]
> > >
> > > Putting it in here for your convenience:
> > >
> > > - 20200629:
> > >   - 20.08beta1: First beta release
> > >   - publish in flathub beta
> > >
> > > - 20200720:
> > >   - 20.08betaX: X as we can generate more than two, but at minimum we
> > > will have two betas
> > >   - Publish in flathub beta
> > >
> > > - 20200810:
> > >   - 20.08rc1: Hard freeze: no ABI changes allowed anymore
> > >   - Publish in flathub beta
> > >
> > > - 20200824:
> > >   - 20.08rc2: Second release candidate
> > >   - Publish in flathub beta
> > >
> > > - 20200831
> > >   - 20.08: Final release
> > >   - Publish in flathub
> > >
> > > Please let us know any questions
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > > fd-sdk team
> > >
> > > [1] https://gitlab.com/freedesktop-sdk/freedesktop-sdk/-/wikis/release#release-plan-2008-runtime
> >
> > If it's to be released the 31st August, wouldn't it make more sense to
> > just call it 20.09?
>
> If possible, I think we would like to keep 20.08 for consistency
> (19.08, 18.08 ... etc)

I don't think this is a very good argument. :)

> > I also wonder what kind of testing we should be doing until then. What
> > kind of changes usually happen during these rc? I assume applications
> > will start adopting once they get to base themselves onto the final
> > runtime anyway.
>
> Apart for individual testing of some apps (like steam), we expect
> GNOME to use the betas
> and RC's on the releases towards GNOME 3.38 (plan to be released the
> 16 September);
> Maybe we can try to do something similar with the KDE runtime? what is
> your current release
> cycle?

For us the schedule is looking awkward. Qt 5.15.0 was just released
now and it's going to be the last in the Qt 5 series, it's discussed
here briefly:
https://discourse.flathub.org/t/org-kde-sdk-5-15-0/526/6

We can surely put something together for further testing, we're using
gitlab now. Last year you mentioned it would be easier to share CI
resources like this, if I recall correctly.
It would allow us to make sure it builds and some ad-hoc testing if
people want to.

Aleix