Flatpak's LibreOffice install missing hyphenation package

André Luiz Duarte de Queiroz andre.luiz.d.queiroz at gmail.com
Sat Apr 24 14:50:48 UTC 2021

Thanks for your interest! I've proceeded as per your suggestions and, after
some tries and errors, I've got my flatpak's LibreOffice installed with
only the locales I effectively use (only 4!), instead of ALL locale files
-- what, obviously, wasn't necessary and was slowing down LibreOffice -- by
means of these commands in Terminal:

andre_luiz at MFD:~$ sudo flatpak uninstall
> org.freedesktop.Platform.Locale//20.08
>
> andre_luiz at MFD:~$ sudo flatpak uninstall
> org.libreoffice.LibreOffice.Locale
>
> andre_luiz at MFD:~$ sudo flatpak install --subpath=/en --subpath=/pt
> --subpath=/ja --subpath=/ar flathub org.freedesktop.Platform.Locale//20.08
>
> andre_luiz at MFD:~$ sudo flatpak install --subpath=/en --subpath=/pt
> --subpath=/ja --subpath=/ar flathub org.libreoffice.LibreOffice.Locale

Actually, I had to use " flatpak install *--reinstall*" twice, until I find
the correct code for Japanese locale (*"ja"*, instead of "jp"...) and
realize there's no subgroup of "pt-br" (for Brazilian Portuguese)...

BUT, unfortunately, that wasn't enough to solve the issue I mentioned in
the topic: I'm still getting the error message  "Missing Hyphenation data
 Please install the hyphenation package for locale "ar"...
[image: Captura de tela-1.png]
Searching in Debian Database, I've not found such a hyphenation package for
Arabic available there... I'm afraid there isn't at all... (
https://packages.debian.org/search?searchon=sourcenames&keywords=hyphen-ar)
I'm still just beginning in the learning of Arabic language, and I don't
know if hyphenation is actually a common practice; maybe there isn't
hyphenation of Arabic texts ( https://github.com/w3c/alreq/issues/108),
because the written language has already the so called "kashida
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kashida>" ...

Anyway, even without solving the very issue yet, it was very enlightening
about LibreOffice and flatpak resources! The issue doesn't impeach me of
writing in Arabic (I could just set all paragraphs to "no hyphenation" and
enable 'justify' ...), but it's always intriguing to look for ways to make
the system/application do what *we want it does* !..

Kind regards!