[Fontconfig] fontconfig and xfonts?

Vaidotas Zemlys Vaidotas.Zemlys at maf.vu.lt
Tue Nov 11 18:06:17 EST 2003

Hi,

> > Le lun 10/11/2003 à 02:41, zonk at ultraworld.xs4all.nl a écrit :
> > > How do i get fontconfig to come up with the plain old 'fixed' font?
> >
> > Run 'dpkg-reconfigure fontconfig' and enable the bitmap fonts.
>
> Yeah, i had done that already, and i can choose the 'Fixed' font from the
> gnome(-terminal) fontselector, it just doesn't look the same.
>
> To show what i mean i've made the following screenshot:
>
> http://www.xs4all.nl/~timo/fixedfonts.gif
>
> On the top left is a stock default xterm (using fixed by default). top
> middle is gnome-terminal using fontconfig fixed size 9 (too small), top
> right  is gnome-terminal fixed size 11 (too big), and on the bottom it's
> fixed size 10.

I had this problem for a long time. Then one day I got really upset and
figured out which font fontconfig chooses instead of my beloved fixed font. As
it turns out it was 12x13ja.pcf. (The ugly font in the bottom) So I manually
removed it from my system. Here how it goes:

cd /usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc
rm 12x13ja.pcf.gz
update-fonts-dir misc
fc-cache

And voila now there is no problem choosing fixed font in gnome. It is not nice
solution, I have to do it everytime X window system is updated (or only
fonts), yet not one of the solutions provided on this list (there were some)
provided me with the same results. In my case I did not manage to force
fontconfig to choose font:
7x13 or
7x13         -misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--13-120-75-75-c-70-iso8859-13

Mpiktas

Mpiktas