[Fontconfig] Disabling font X for language Y

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Fri Apr 23 06:00:16 EST 2004

Around 12 o'clock on Apr 22, Stefan Baums wrote:

> My problem is that when the specified font does not contain Cyrillic
> characters, then Cyrillic characters get displayed with atrocious-looking,
> overspaced glyphs from a Chinese font that happens to contain some Cyrillic
> glyphs (see attached image), in spite of the fact that perfectly good
> Cyrillic fonts are installed on the system.

That's easily fixed by ammending the list of fonts included in the
sans-serif, serif and monospace lists.  Make the fonts you prefer appear
before the fonts you dislike and fontconfig will happily provide them
first in the list to the application.

in your ~/.fonts.conf, you can add:

<alias>
	<family>sans-serif</family>
	<prefer>
		<family>Favorite Sans-Serif Cyrillic Font Name Here</family>
	</prefer>
</alias>

<alias>
	<family>serif</family>
	<prefer>
		<family>Favorite Serif Cyrillic Font Name Here</family>
	</prefer>
</alias>
<alias>
	<family>monospace</family>
	<prefer>
		<family>Favorite Monospace Cyrillic Font Name Here</family>
	</prefer>
</alias>