[Fontconfig] fontconfig performance problems + FcConfigUptoDate() bug

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Tue Aug 10 17:35:01 EST 2004

On Monday 09 of August 2004 19:49, Keith Packard wrote:
> Around 19 o'clock on Aug 9, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> >  I'd like to ask if there are any plans to do the mmap() thing in
> > fontconfig in the foreseeable future. I just posted a patch[*] to xdg@
> > mailing list solving the XIM problem in a similar way, so I thought I'd
> > check the status.
>
> There is a desire, but not any implementation underway.
>
> We'll have to completely replace the existing cache file structure to
> usefully benefit from an mmap-based system.  Fortunately, this is possible
> as fontconfig version-numbers the cache files.
>
> If you have an interest, I can point you in suitable directions.

 Honestly I'm not sure if I do :-/ , I have already enough KDE work. The data
structures of fontconfig seem more complicated than the XIM data, and
moreover if I comprehend it correctly this data can be modified at runtime in
the app. That looks more like a complete rewrite of a part of fontconfig to
me, and that'd be probably better be done by somebody who's not completely
clueless about it (hmm, does that include also somebody else than you?). Can
you estimate the extent of work this would require?

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SuSE CR, s.r.o.  e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org