[Fontconfig] Encoding/loading error in Fontconfig config file
sb at dod.no
Fri Aug 20 20:21:14 EST 2004
Platform: Pentium M (Dell Latitude D600 laptop),
debian sarge (testing/unstable),
When I came back from vacation, I did an "apt-get dist-upgrade" which
upgraded a lot of packages. After this, my own Qt application has
acted strangely. It prints out
Fontconfig error: line 1: unknown encoding
Fontconfig error: Cannot load default config file
to the console when starting up, and comes up with a really strange
looking font (from the output resulting from setting FC_DEBUG=1, it
looks like it may be a font called "Arioso"?).
I'm aiming for helvetica, which should be the default font for Qt
Is there a way to find the offending file causing the error messages?
Some debug option, perhaps?
I have googled, and seen others on with this error message (mostly on
GTk applications), but no answers to what causes it.
The debian fontconfig package has three config files
They all start with
I have tried changing that to
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
but it didn't make any difference.
KDE applications work without a hitch. fc-list works without giving
any error messages.
fc-cache -v as my own user gives the following output:
fc-cache: "/usr/share/fonts": skipping, no write access
fc-cache: "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1": skipping, no write access
fc-cache: "/usr/local/share/fonts": skipping, no write access
fc-cache: "/home/sb/.fonts": skipping, no such directory
fc-cache: "/var/lib/defoma/fontconfig.d": skipping, no write access
fc-cache: "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts": skipping, no write access
fc-cache -v as root gives a lot more output.
There is an environment variable LANG=C set, but no LC_* variables
More information about the Fontconfig