[Fontconfig] fontconfig takes terribly long with 75dpi enabled

Pierre Abbat phma at phma.hn.org
Wed Aug 18 07:22:56 EST 2004

I am still trying to fix the BigNoiseMusic problem. Please help.

Attached is my local.conf file. Helvetica is in the 100dpi and 75dpi
directories. The TTF and Type1 directories do not contain a Helvetica.

I added the 75dpi and 100dpi lines and started Konqueror on a page that
displays in BigNoiseMusic without them. It came up as readable text, but took
ten minutes and 150 megabytes to do so. With only 75dpi, it still came up
readable, and took less time and about 100 MB.

With the local.conf set like that, I logged out and logged back in. The
computer quickly ate up all memory as every process read all the fonts. I hit
ctrl-alt-backspace, but ten minutes later it hadn't responded. I had to kill
X from my ssh connection.

I commented out both dpi lines and logged back in. It came up quickly, but the
statement aliasing Helvetica to Arial has no effect. It still shows Helvetica
as BigNoiseMusic.

TTF contains 355 files; 100dpi and 75dpi contain 1888 each. Type1 contains 61.

phma
--
li fi'u vu'u fi'u fi'u du li pa