[Fontconfig] Localizing font family and style names

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Wed Dec 1 16:34:03 EST 2004

Around 21 o'clock on Nov 30, Ambrose Li wrote:

> This is not necessarily desirable. Sometimes I want to see the
> English names of Chinese fonts in a Chinese locale, if not
> just for the sake of consistency (of moving documents between
> locales).

Right, so letting the application choose which names to present seems like
the only workable solution.

I will provide a convenience API for applications to locate a "reasonable"
name to present, given a specific lang value (or NULL, indicating current
locale), but applications will be free to walk the list of available names
and choose their own if they like.

-keith