[Fontconfig] gnome-terminal and font selection -- again

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Sat Feb 7 03:12:37 EST 2004

My appologies if you see this more than once.  I tried a couple of times
to post via Gmane but that does not seem to be making for some reason.

I know this topic seems to get covered in various places with various
different hacks (i.e. deleting "fixed" fonts until the one you want is
the
only left with enough priority that it gets used), but I want to try to
solve it properly on my system without hacking up my fonts.conf file
like
I have to everytime I install a new fontconfig package.

With the help of xfd, I have determined that the font(config
specfication)
I want to use in gnome-terminal is:

Fixed:style=Regular:slant=0:weight=100:width=87:pixelsize=13:spacing=100

but this is a bitmap font and not scalable, so trying to get a more
simple
specification like "Fixed" to select it is impossible.

So what configuration changes can I make to get access to this
specific font (such that it will be selectable in gnome-terminal) in
preference to what is in normal circumstances "better" Fixed fonts?

I have tried something like:

<fontconfig>
    <match target="pattern">
	<test qual="any" name="family">
	    <string>Fixed</string>
	</test>
	<edit name="family" mode="assign">
	    <string>Fixed:style=Regular:slant=0:weight=100:width=87:pixelsize=13:spacing=100:foundry=Misc</string>
	</edit>
    </match>
</fontconfig>

in my ~/.fonts.conf but it does not seem to do what I want.  I don't
really want to override fontconfig's idea of the best "Fixed" font
anyhow.
I would prefer to create a new specification with something like:

<fontconfig>
    <match target="pattern">
	<test qual="any" name="family">
	    <string>MyFixedFont</string>
	</test>
	<edit name="family" mode="assign">
	    <string>Fixed:style=Regular:slant=0:weight=100:width=87:pixelsize=13:spacing=100:foundry=Misc</string>
	</edit>
    </match>
</fontconfig>

So that gnome-terminal would show an additional font in its list named
"MyFixedFont".  But the above syntax does not seem to do that either.

How can I achieve the results I am looking for?

Thanx,
b.

Brian J. Murrell