[Fontconfig] gnome-terminal and font selection -- again

John A. Boyd Jr. jaboydjr at netwalk.com
Mon Feb 9 18:42:56 EST 2004

Hi Brian,

If you're ambitious enough to try the attached patches, you'll have a
more complete solution, but unfortunately, the maintainers of the
various packages involved don't seem all that interested (except for
the FreeType folks).

These patches may be a bit out of date at the moment; I'm sure I'll
update them next time I feel the urge to update one of the packages
involved.  Until then, this is the best I can do, not being a maintainer
of any of these packages myself.

I've commented on the problem a few times to this list, by the way.
The problem is that the XLFD 'setwidth' attribute was not carried
forward in any of the font-related packages culminating at
'gnome-terminal'.  The attached patches collectively resolve the
issue.

Keith Packard commented to this list recently that a new 'width'
attribute has been added to fontconfig.  I defer to his knowledge
of the issue and the packages involved, but with all due respect to
him, I'm sure that's not enough by itself.  I invite Keith to look
at my patches, to comment further, and/or to assist me in getting the
rest of the maintainers of these packages to do something, whether that
be considering and adopting my patches, or whatever else.

Or, is there some reason someone doesn't want 'fixed' and other common
bitmap fonts to be used in the first place?  All things considered, it's
a fair question, I would humbly suggest...

-John