[Fontconfig] fontconfig and xfonts?

Frank Murphy murphyf+fonts at f-m.fm
Sun Jan 4 10:18:21 EST 2004

On Tuesday 11 November 2003 8:06, Vaidotas Zemlys wrote:
> I had this problem for a long time. Then one day I got really upset and
> figured out which font fontconfig chooses instead of my beloved fixed font.
> As it turns out it was 12x13ja.pcf. (The ugly font in the bottom) So I
> manually removed it from my system. Here how it goes:
>
> cd /usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc
> rm 12x13ja.pcf.gz
> update-fonts-dir misc
> fc-cache
>
> And voila now there is no problem choosing fixed font in gnome. It is not
> nice solution, I have to do it everytime X window system is updated (or
> only fonts), yet not one of the solutions provided on this list (there were
> some) provided me with the same results. In my case I did not manage to
> force fontconfig to choose font:
> 7x13 or
> 7x13         -misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--13-120-75-75-c-70-iso8859-13

Thank you for this! I've been frustrated by getting this big, ugly font for
fixed in KDE's konsole for a long time as well. While your workaround is not
perfect, it does fix the problem for me. Thanks!

Have you filed a bug on this in Debian? And how did you track down which font
was the problem?

Frank