[Fontconfig] Three problems about fontconfig in KDE and Gnome.

song kangho khsongdr at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 12 12:43:19 EST 2004

I subscribed to this list so that I would like to ask
these questions.
But I am not good at mailing list, if this mail is bad
to this list, ignore it.

I use both KDE and Gnome. I use GTK+ apps in KDE
sometimes, use QT apps in Gnome. So I want all
applications to be shown with the same shape in both
KDE and gnome. Fonts, fonts sizes, themes, etc.
And I found It's very difficult to do what I want.

Q1. Is there any difference between to run "startx --
-dpi 96" and to run with the file "~/.fonts.conf"
contains DPI information?
     My font size of gnome is 9, and of kde 9 too. But
their sizes are different each other.
     KDE's font size is much smaller than gnome's. I
found that was caused by the DPI information.
     My Gnome's dpi is 96, I adjusted that by running
"gnome-font-properties. But I couldn't adjust DPI in
KDE.
     So I edited my ~/.fonts.conf like the below...
     <match target="pattern">
      <edit name="dpi" mode="assign">
       <double>96</double>
      </edit>
     </match>
     That was OK. 9-size Bitstream Vera Sans in KDE
looked same with that of Gnome.
     But The font's size of some applications, such as
Konqueror Browser and Opera Browser, got bigger.
     So I commentted out above lines in ~/.fonts.conf,
and ran X with command "startx -- -dpi 96".
     That was good, really good. The sizes of between
Gnome and KDE are absolutly same.
     Is it useless that I add above DPI information to
my ~/.fonts.conf?

Q2. Assigning the fonts doesn't work properly, this
doesn't occur in Gnome, but occurs in KDE.
     Many sites require Courier fonts in their
stylesheet.
     But I don't want my browser to display
non-antialiased core fonts like Courier.
     So I edited my ~/.fonts.conf
     <match target="pattern">
      <test name="family">
       <string>Courier</string>
      </test>
      <edit mode="assign" binding="strong"
name="family">
       <string>Courier 10 Pitch</string>
      </edit>
     </match>
     In gnome, That was OK. "Courier 10 Pitch"
replaced "Courier" perfectly.
     But in KDE, it was weird. That's neither Courier
nor Courier 10 Pitch.
     I link my screenshot. look at this.
     http://www.geocities.com/khsongdr/Courier.png
     Left window is KDE control, and Right is
gnome-font-properties.
     KDE's courier has not only different shape but
also two fonts.
     And the space between characters is bigger. Very
weired.

Q3. Yes, this problem also has relation with KDE.
    I wanted see english text with Bitstream Vera
Sans, and Korean text with Gulim.
    So I added the below to my ~/.fonts.conf
     <alias>
      <family>Bitstream Vera Sans</family>
      <prefer>
       <family>Bitstream Vera Sans</family>
       <family>Gulim</family>
      </prefer>
     </alias>
     In gnome, everything was perfect.
     It seemed to be perfect in KDE too. But there
were some characters could not be displayed.
     I link my second screenshot. Sorry for size, it's
a little big.
     http://www.geocities.com/khsongdr/KCharSelect.png
     Each characters in blue box are all the same.
When I select Bitstream Vera Sans in KCharSelect, that
character is broken. But When I select "Gulim", it's
displayed very well. I wonder what's the problem. I
adjusted that Gulim would append Bitstream Vera Sans.
And Gulim has that character, but Bitstream Vera Sans
that Gulim appends can't express that character.

I wish this post would bring me the answers.