[Fontconfig] To each app its own fonts.conf?

Ciprian Popovici ciprian at zuavra.net
Tue Jul 27 04:01:10 EST 2004

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 14:37:05 -0400 Keith Packard <keithp at keithp.com> wrote:

> Around 15 o'clock on Jul 25, Ciprian Popovici wrote:
>
> > Can I somehow provide a certain application a different ~/.fonts.conf?
> > Short of using a script that replaces it for that application only, that
> > is. If not, would it be a good idea? Say, have fontconfig check
> > ~/.fonts.conf.[windowname] before or after ~/.fonts.conf.
>
> Perhaps you could explain why you think this would be useful? In general,
> a uniform font presentation on the screen seems like a desirable user
> interface goal.

It does, but sometimes to achieve that uniform presentation you have to deal
with applications that misbehave. You may want to tackle such issues from
fontconfig's settings but you don't want to apply them to the normal apps.

Sure, it's not fontconfig's fault and the right thing to do would be to fix
the broken application. But that's not always possible or available soon
enough.

--
Ciprian Popovici