[Fontconfig] Wierd crash

James H. Cloos Jr. cloos at jhcloos.com
Wed May 12 09:19:14 EST 2004

A runaway process yesterday forced me to reboot my laptop after a
couple of weeks of uptime.  Upon reboot, X refused to start.

More precisely, I quickly learned, gdm refused to start.  The server
itself ran fine.

Except when I tried to load my wm (ice).

A little debugging showed that everthing that linked freetype (even
gnumeric's non-gui ssconvert program) would segv in libfreetype.so.6.

Downgrading freetype from 2.1.8 to 2.1.5 (via the gentoo ebuild) only
moved the crashes out of libfreetype and into libfontconfig.

Then, I remembered having similar problems in the past with bad fonts.

So with fc-list and FC_DEBUG=255 I tracked down the bad font.

Or at least the one that triggered the segv....

It seems that /usr/share/fonts/default/Type1/n0190041.pfb --
NimbusSanL-Bold was to blame.  Moving that file out of fc's paths
allowed everything to work again.

Ftview can read the font just fine, so the font itself isn't buggy;
it just happened to trigger something when the font path was scanned
in just the right order.  Fun.

[SIGH]

FWIW, gentoo at fc 2.2.2.  I'll have to make an ebuild for 2.2.94 and
give that a try.

(Of course, this does show just how far the transition from server-
side fonts has come.  But it was nice to still have twm and urxvt on
hand....)

-JimC