[Fontconfig] My strange font problem

Ambrose Li acli at ada.dhs.org
Wed Apr 13 10:20:21 EST 2005

Hi,

I suppose this problem only occurs for monospaced fonts like
Courier, is that right?  If it is, this would sound like the
same problem that's been affecting Chinese (and seems to have
become worse recently).

The reason why uninstalling the fonts didn't work is probably
because it's a fontconfig/freetype/pango problem, and it is
quite difficult to downgrade components in Debian (imho).

If this is the "global advance" problem described some time ago,
then I think it's time we ignore "global advance" for all fonts
for good, since this seems to be not just a CJK problem, but
a problem for an unknown number of fonts affecting an unknown
number of languages. And the list of the affected fonts seems to
include even Microsoft system fonts (Courier, MS Song, etc.)

Regards,
Ambrose