[Fontconfig] debugging no fonts problem

Dan McMahill mcmahill at mtl.mit.edu
Wed Apr 13 21:43:45 EST 2005

I recently updated everything (fontconfig, glib, atk, pango, gtk, etc)
on my solaris-9 box with openwin.  Now I can longer get any fonts to
display in gtk2 programs.  Not even the gtk-demo program.

I've re-run fc-cache with 'fc-cache -f -v' to make sure it completes
as it has in the past.  As near as I can tell, my fonts.conf file
has not changed.  Then I tried running the gtk-demo program
on both the solaris-9 box and a NetBSD/alpha box.  What I found is:

client 			Xserver		Result
------			-------		-------
gtk-demo,		Solaris-9,	seems ok
NetBSD/alpha		openwin

gtk-demo,		Solaris-9,	no fonts
Solaris-9/sparc		openwin

gtk-demo,		Win XP		seems ok
NetBSD/alpha		X/deep

gtk-demo,		Win XP,		seems ok
Solaris-9/sparc		X/deep

gtk1 programs		Solaris-9	all are fine
on any machine		openwin

so there seems to be something about the client and
X server being on the solaris box.

Any suggestions on how to debug whats going on?

I'm using version 2.6.4 of gtk2, 2.3.0 of fontconfig, pango-1.8.1,
not sure what other versions are of use.

Is there a way to "listen in" on fontconfig to see what its doing?

Thanks
-Dan